Saturday, June 14, 2008

more than just a hammock

the hammock in our backyard hangs above a beautiful moss-covered patch of ground and is surrounded by the rugged rocks & trees in the woods. this has become my place of losing and finding myself...my place of rest...my place of peace. one of the hardest things for me to do is to stop. stop working, stop thinking, stop moving, stop over-analyzing. but here, it's all i can do...it feels so natural, and i lose myself in the splendor of the scenery and the sounds of the life around me, only to find myself at peace.

the following is another excerpt from the book i've been reading--yoga and the quest for the true self, by stephen cope

"in the yogic view, it is in these moments that we know who we really are. we rest in our true nature and know beyond a doubt that everything is ok, and not just ok, but unutterably well. we know that there is nothing to accept and nothing to reject. life just is as it is. it is in these moments that we awaken from the dream of separateness in which we usually live. the whole path of yoga begins with these little daily experiences of waking up. awakening comes, in yoga, not at the end of the path--rather, it is present from the very beginning. ...it is our awake nature that recognizes itself in the mirror of consciousness. in these moments, we are dissolved back into the One that is our source."

3 comments:

Ms. Regier said...

I like this excerpt. I wish I had a hammock...

Anonymous said...

Hi Janessa,
It's good to know you are having such a wonderful time in NY. It is hard to imagine such beauty around a place like NY. Thank God for your awesome family. Rock on!

Carmen said...

I wish I could lie in a hammock beside yours...sounds amazing! I'll call you soon...promise.