Thursday, July 17, 2008

between the two of us...

layin' on the grass at one of the "castles" on top of a mountain overlooking the most beautiful view of the hudson i've ever seen, watching the little people take their swing at a couple pinatas and listening to the chatter of sweet young mommies as they watch their little guys celebrate twin girls' fourth birthdays today. a lovely way to spend the day, don't you think? that is...if you're not laying on the grass under the pinata, crying because your back spazzed out, you're in intense pain, and you can't freaking get up & walk!!!

here's how it went down. i was...holding e-e. that's it. i've held a million kids, a million times...but this one time...! and it's not like we were even messing around or anything. just standing there, me under the pinata with e-e in my arms, just talking to him. i went to put him down so he could finish his lunch and snap...i couldn't get back up. my face must have said a hundred words because i had 4 moms gathered around asking if i was ok. i told them i couldn't move, that my back had gone out or something. i finally made (or more like, crashed) my way to the ground and just laid there. this has happened before, so i thought i could just ride it out and in a little bit it would calm down and i'd be fine. 2 hours and lots of tears later, i still wasn't fine. no one quite knew what to do for me. one of the men who owns the castle (good family friends of ours) called all of his chiropractor friends and got advice from them, but none of them were free to come check me out. he wanted to call ems and get me to the emergency room (just so happens that he's an emt!) but i told him no because i don't have insurance. we iced my back and i just...you know, laid there. after about 3 hours, the party was over and we were the last ones there. ((oh, did i mention that i had 4 kids with me, not just my regular 2!? ...but thier grandma was with us as well, so she watched all 4 while i...laid. thank God she was there!)) i finally made my way to the car and when we made it home i grabbed the quickest snacks i could manage for the kids and we turned on a movie and there i lay on the toy-room floor for another hour until L came home.

here's where it gets crazy (as if that wasn't crazy enough). usually i have the kids all day and through the night on thursdays because C & L both stay over in the city, but L stayed home this morning because she had a terrible migraine. so she went to the doctor while we were at the party and when she got home, she mustered up enough strength to take care of me. i'm lucky to live with body-working people =) so here we are...i can't stand up to walk, she can't bend over, the kids are starving and cranky (yet trying to be helpful because they know i'm in a lot of pain), trying to do the best we can. i got in child's pose (kneeling on the ground, body bent over the knees resting on them) over a cylinder-shaped pillow thingy and she did some back work on me. it hurt SOO bad...i was bawling. and she was hurting badly because of her migraine. but whatever she did released so much of the tension in my back. afterwards she ran a bath for me and helped me to it...very very slowly. then she helped me back downstairs to my room, made dinner for me, and helped me to the bathroom again. as we were walking (if you could even call it that) she said, "maybe between the two of us, we can make up one person". i said, "great, you take care of the high stuff (she couldn't bend over) and i'll take care of the low stuff." we were a total mess! someday we're going to laugh so hard about this...someday.

anyway, so here i lie, still in pain, but at least it's bearable now. i won't be going anywhere for a couple days (except to the acupuncturist with L tomorrow). but we have a TON to do to get ready for e-e's birthday party on sunday. crap! what a humbling experience, though. i hate to be helpless...especially when there are a ton of people around witnessing my helplessness. all the moms were SO sweet though...i'm thankful to have been around such helpful people when that happened. it happened a few years ago and i just had to lay in my bedroom until my roommates got home! and jenn, do you remember last year with my neck? ...yeah, it was like that, only with my lower back...for the whole day!

anyway, i'm rambling. i'm so tired that i'm actually typing with my eyes closed part of the time! guess i'll go to bed now. thanks for reading my rambles =) love to you all!

2 comments:

R.W. Shipshape said...

Whh-ooaa! That's crazy. It is so curious when a back just "goes out." What?! It is so hard to keep the back healthy.

Also, give me details on acupuncture. I've been desperate to try it (not as many options in ole' Manhattan).

Happy Healing!

P.S. Again, I have to say, I want to live with a yoga master!

Heather said...

Oh My....this sounds painful! I hope you have relief very very soon.

Praying for relief!

love ya